What Is Gastric Balloon Surgery?
The procedure of placing a silicone bag (balloon) attached with a saline reservoir in the body of the stomach in obese individuals comprises the gastric balloon surgery.This is the choice of treatment when a majority of weight loss tasks do not work well and cannot help in reducing weight or obesity. An obese individual is bound to be prone to adverse medical conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, stroke, atherosclerosis. It becomes essential to choose a surgical procedure which would help to keep a check on the diet rather continue doing the physical exercises which prove unsuccessful.
Causes Of Obesity:
- Obesity is majorly a genetic condition. The tendency to put on weight may run in the family
- A sedentary lifestyle, devoid of any physical exertion, exercises also leads to obese conditions
- Excessive consumption of alcohol, junk food, oily and fried food, incorporating lesser fiber in the diet further aggravates obese conditions
- Certain medications may lead to water retention in the body which causes obesity. These include medicines such as corticosteroids, anti depressants and anti seizures.
- Obesity may also occur secondary to conditions such as polycystic ovarian disorder, hypothyroidism, cushing’s syndrome.
Signs and Symptoms of Obesity:
- Increased breathlessness, lethargy, lack of interest in things
- Chubby appearance, flabby arms, chest, abdomen, thighs
- Lack of interest in physical exercises, visible fatty and chubby appearance
- Raised blood pressure, blood sugar levels, reduced basic metabolic rate, rapid palpitations.
Diagnosis of Obesity:
The ideal method to diagnose obesity lies in the concept of body mass index BMI. There are five classes which groups obese people as follows:
- Value lesser than 18 is termed as underweight
- Between 18.5 to 25 is normal
- Values between 25 to 30 is obese
- Value in the range of 30 to 35 is class I obese
- Value in the range of 35 to 40 is class II obese
Treatment Procedures for Gastric Balloon Surgery:
- Endoscopy: The first procedure to be done prior to the actual balloon placement is the endoscopy. This is done to check for the course of the esophagus, ensure it is devoid of any pathological conditions and finally check for the lower esophageal sphincter and the upper part of the stomach. Once it is assured that all the paths are clear, sedation is given to the patient and the procedure can very well be carried out in an outpatient department. The entire procedure takes about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Once the sedation has been has given, a silicone balloon in the inflatable state is placed in the stomach via the esophagus. This balloon is carefully made to pass through the esophagus and placed in the body of the stomach. Once the placement is done, saline is injected into the balloon as a result of which it inflates within the stomach. This is the successful completion of the entire procedure. The patient may leave for home after monitoring for a couple of hours on the same day.
- How does it work: The silicone balloon is placed in the stomach for a period of about 12 to 15 months? During this time there is a gross reduction in the appetite of the obese individual. When the patient begins to have meals, he or she will start feeling full early since a major portion of the stomach is now occupied by the silicone balloon which has been inflated with saline. Thus, the patient eats less and feels full quite early leading to a major cut down in the appetite of the individual.
- Instructions to be followed post the procedure: A strict exercise regime still needs to be followed by the patient in order to help the balloon placement achieve its goal of reducing obesity. This is done for as long as the balloon is placed within the stomach and then a different regime needs to be followed post removal of the balloon.
- Removal of the gastric balloon: After a period of 12 to 15 months, it is advisable to remove the gastric balloon since the patient now s already trained with the diet he or she is supposed to be having. A similar protocol is followed for removal. Mild sedation is given to the patient and the entire procedure takes about 30 to 45 minutes to complete. An endoscope needs to be inserted into the esophagus to first suck saline present in the silicone balloon. Once this is done, vaccum is used to suck the balloon into the endoscope and removed carefully through the course of the esophagus. Since small cameras are attached to the endoscope, the entire path can be visualized by the surgeon over the monitors. Care is taken not to rupture the balloon leave any pieces or fragments of the balloon in the upper gastrointestinal tract.
Complications And Risk Factors Associated With Gastric Balloon Surgery:
- Nausea, vomiting and discomfort at the time of balloon insertion into the esophagus.
- Gastric balloon position may get altered/disturbed in some cases. This however is not a complication, the only drawback being the cumbersome approach that may have to be repeated again.
- Since the gut bacteria get killed/disturbed/rubbed off the mucosa, indigestion in the form of diarrhea or constipation may result.
- Abdominal pain, fever due to recurrent infections may also be encountered.
- Non healing ulcers are also commonly found in the mucosal lining since vitamin c levels are depleted.
Am I Good Candidate For Gastric Balloon Surgery?
If any of the following factors are a big worry for you, you must definitely go for a gastric balloon surgery:
- You have a controlled and monitored diet plan, expected results are less as per you
- You workout daily on a heavy basis, still do not find good results
- You are worried about the flabs on your chest, stomach, abdomen and arms
Since no incisions and suturing is required in this procedure, a bloodless field is available for the procedure. Thus a maximum of two hours may be taken for the procedure to get completed, depending upon the compliance of the patient. The patient gets discharged within 3 to 4 hours and takes a maximum of one day to recover from the procedure.
Gastric balloon surgery has a success rate of 94 percent in all the cases opting for it. Failures may occur due to rejection reactions, if at all they occur in the body resulting in a total disintegration of the balloon along with symptoms of rejection in the host.
Benefits of Gastric Balloon surgery:
A gastric balloon surgery will help you in the following ways:
- It is a safe and effective method to help reduce your obesity
- Help you feel full, even with a morsel of a meal!
- Monitor your diet completely
- Reduce the extra effort you earlier needed to put in strenuous physical exercises
If you opt for the gastric balloon surgery in India, it would cost you around 1 to 1.5 lakh, inclusive of a day’s stay at the hospital. This is roughly around 60 percent less fee you will be expected to pay in the US/UK.
Why choose India?
A tremendous variety of treatment procedures are carried out in India, with the gastric balloon surgery being one of them finding a place in every hospital here. Team MedcureIndia highly recommends the gastric balloon procedure to be followed here considering the low cost, high efficiency and excellent results.