What Is ICSI Treatment?
The intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection method is one method for the correction of male infertility/impotence by injecting a male sperm directly into the female egg. The in vitro fertilization does not necessarily be needed due to issues in the female reproductive system, many a times it is the sperm immobility or incapability to penetrate the female egg. Also the production of sperms may not be sufficient in many males. Hence they resort to ICSI treatment method. MedcureIndia introduces the concept in the following lines.
Medical Conditions Requiring ICSI Treatment:
- Diagnosed infertility problems
- Reduced sperm count in males
- Decreased capacity of sperms to travel up to the egg and penetrate
- Conditions like azoospermia, i.e no sperm production at all
Signs and Symptoms Indicative of ICSI Treatment:
- Difficulty in ejaculation during sexual intercourse
- Decreased semen production
- Loss of libido, reduced sexual drive
- Lethargic during foreplay, sexual activities
- Failure to impregnate even after multiple sexual inter courses
Treatment Procedures for ICSI Treatment:
- A trans-vaginal oocyte retrieval procedure is done first which will extract eggs from the female body. The male will be asked to provide his semen sample from which the sperm will be extracted. If no sperm is present in the sample or if sperm of a defective quality is present, the doctor will extract a sperm from the epididymis of the male donor. This procedure is known as percutaneous epididymal sperm aspiration PESA. Similarly in a procedure known as TESA, sperm can also be taken with the help of testicular sperm aspiration.
- The procedure is done with the help of many micro manipulators under a microscope.
- A pipette is used to stabilize the egg and at the same time gentle suction is also applied.
- From the opposite side, a sperm is allowed to penetrate the centre of the egg, the path being guided with the help of a micro pipette.
- Various positions of penetrence are followed depending upon the size of both the egg and the sperm.
- Once this is done, the egg and the sperm are left in the petridish or glass tube and checked every day for three to four days for the process of fertilization.
- After the fertilization has been completed, the embryo is implanted inside the uterus of the mother which marks the beginning of the pregnancy.
- This is then followed by the routine follow ups, checkups, ultrasounds and medical prescriptions by the concerned gynecologist.
Complications And Risk Factors Associated With ICSI Treatment:
- Birth defects may be seen in children born to couples who choose ICSI treatment. However this can always be worked upon and taken care of prior to even during the early stages of pregnancy
- Slight chances of causing hepatitis B infections in the off springs.
- Minor swelling and discomfort can be seen after the retrieval of the sperm from the male donor.
Am I good candidate for ICSI treatment?
You will be an ideal candidate for the ICSI treatment, if you feel you have any of the following symptoms:
- Loss of interest in sexual activities, but desire to have babies
- Reduced ability to produce semen
- Difficulty during ejaculation
- Pain and discomfort while making love
- A single cycle of ICSI takes 4 to 6 weeks to complete.
- You and your spouse will be required to spend at least 6 to 8 hours at the infertility clinic or hospital.
- This will be the time required to retrieve eggs and sperms from your body.
- Once this is done, you can go home the same day and start with your routine as normal as it was earlier.
- You will be required to pay a visit to the centre after three to four days when the embryo has been formed and ready for implantation.
Success Rate of ICSI Treatment:
Approximately 50 to 80 percent times the sperm will fertilize the egg, resulting in the formation of embryo. Once the embryo has been formed and implanted in the uterine wall, there is one percent chance that an abortion will occur.
Benefits of ICSI Treatment:
An ICSI treatment will help you in the following ways:
- Help you have babies even when you are not biologically capable of producing them
- You can continue having intercourses with your partner, without the fear of becoming parents. (runs contradictory to the treatment!)
ICSI treatment in India will cost you around 3,50,000 to 4,00,000 INR. this amount is 60 percent less as compared to what you will expected to pay in the UK/US/Australia
Why choose India?
India is the leading hub of infertility centers where various types of treatment modalities are available. Team MedcureIndia makes sure it directs its clients towards the most efficient centers equipped by machinery of latest technologies and skilled embryologists, ensuring best treatment outcomes at best safety margins and low costs.
Frequently Asked Questions:
• Is ICSI treatment painful?
There is minimal discomfort when the procedure is being carried out, however sedation is given during the process is being carried out.
• Is ICSI more effective than IVF?
ICSI is as effective as the IVF procedure is. It is just the method that is different, results are the same.
• How long does ICSI take?
It takes about 4 to 6 weeks to complete the entire procedure of ICSI. This involves the retrieval of male sperm and female egg, fertilization and implantation procedure.