What Does Tummy Tuck Surgery Mean?
A branch of cosmetic surgery which aims at improving the appearance of the abdomen by removing excess fats and skin is known as abdominoplasty or tummy tuck surgery. Sutures can also be used to tighten the abdomen muscles and give it a neat and toned appearance. This procedure is one of the classes of plastic surgery done in order to esthetically enhance the appearance of a particular organ. Team MedcureIndia briefs about the subject in the following lines.
Reasons To Opt For Tummy Tuck Surgery:
- Obesity is a leading cause for fat deposition in upper and lower abdomen, buttocks and thighs
- Post pregnancy accumulation of fat in the loose skin in the lower abdomen can be found giving it an untidy appearance
- Abdominal wall hernia leading to loose skin and muscles
Diagnostic Tests Prior To Tummy Tuck Surgery:
- A physical examination is mandatory for the inspection, palpation and auscultation of the abdominal areas for any pathologies suspected.
- A routine blood test should be carried out to rule out the chances of any bleeding disorders, anemia and infections which may pose a threat during the actual surgical procedure.
- An ultrasound USG of abdomen may or may not be recommended before the tummy tuck procedure. The decision lies entirely in the hands of the plastic surgeon.
Types of Tummy Tuck Surgery:
- Complete Abdominoplasty: In this procedure, an incision is made in the pubic area extending from hip on the left side to the right one and a second one is made around the navel. Thus skin from the wall of the abdomen can be detached and full revelation of the muscles and fascia can be made easily. At this stage sutures are used in order to tighten both the muscles and the fascia. The excess is removed using the liposuction procedure from the incisions made at the abdominal sites. Simultaneously the fluid is also drained continuously in order to prevent swelling and bloating post operatively. A dressing garment may be left in place for a week for proper healing of the wound.
- Partial/Mini Abdominoplasty: In this procedure a smaller incision than the complete abdominoplasty is made. Excess skin and fat from the lower abdomen area are removed in a precise manner. The skin over the incision is then stretched and suturing is done. As a result of this, tightening of the muscles and fascia also occurs concurrently. An added step of liposuction may be done to tone the transitional zone if required.
- Extended Abdominoplasty: A complete abdominoplasty with a lateral thigh lift is known as an extended abdominoplasty. It aims at enhancing the look of abdomen and waist both in the same procedure. Thus the scar line extends from below the lower abdomen uptil the mid portion of the upper abdomen. The operation does all of the abdominal contouring of a complete abdominoplasty and allows further improvement of the waist as well as smoothing the contour of the upper lateral thigh.
- High Lateral Tension Tummy Tuck: As opposed to a conventional abdominoplasty which tightens muscles in a vertical line, a high lateral tension abdominoplasty tightens the musculature in a horizontal pattern. The final result with this technique is a dramatically flat abdomen with significantly better-defined waistline.
- Floating Abdominoplasty/Extended mini abdominiplasty/FAB Technique: This technique follows shaping through a smaller incision that isnt placed around the belly button. Through this smaller incision, excess skin is removed and the belly button is temporarily detached, floating above the muscles during this process. The muscles are tightened and reshaped from sternum to pubic area. The skin is then tightened and the belly button is reattached, or moved down one or two cm if desired. Liposuction may also be performed to achieve desirable results.
- Circumferential Abdominoplasty: It is a combination of an extended abdominoplasty and a buttock lift. It is also known as a belt lipectomy or lower body lift since the scar runs all around the abdomen and the waist. This operation is most appropriate for patients who have undergone massive weight loss.
- Combination Procedures: An abdominoplasty can be combined with liposuction to enhance and perform body contouring around the hips, thighs, and buttocks. A breast reduction protocol, hysterectomy or a C section can also be followed by a tummy tuck surgical option. A popular name for breast enhancement procedures performed in conjunction with an abdominoplasty is a mommy makeover.
Benefits of Abdominoplasty Treatments
- Strengthening Abdominal tone
- Removing excessive abdominal fat
- Reducing urinary incontinence
- Correction of Ventral Hernia
- Improve Posture
- Weight loss maintenance
- Increase exercise tolerance
Am I a Good Candidate for Abdominoplasty treatment/surgery?
If you are having problem with this stubborn fat and extra loose skin around the abdomen which refuses to go away in spite the best of workout or diet plans then tummy tuck is an option who can look forward to. If you have had a number of pregnancies you may find this procedure useful for tightening the abdominal wall and loose skin around the belly.
Complications & Risk Factors Associated With Tummy Tuck Surgery:
- Scarring is the most common and ugliest of all the complications in any plastic surgery protocol. In some cases keloids and hypertrophic scars may also form.
- Improper healing at the incision site can occur as a result of underling systemic diseases such as uncontrolled diabetes and hypertension.
- Infections at the wound site may occur due to improper hygiene maintenance.
- Total or partial numbness can persist after the procedure due to anesthesia complications.
- Smoking and alcohol consumption can alter the post operative results.
Success Rate In India:
Roughly around 4 percent cases face tremendous complications and regaining and redistribution of fats after a tummy tuck surgery. A majority of patients successfully attain the tightening of fascia and muscles and get rid of excess fat and loose skin with this procedure.
We at team MedcureIndia not only take into consideration the overall health of the clients, but also keep a focus on the esthetic body requirements of our patients. As per the needs of enhancement, we direct our clients to the highly professional and qualified plastic and cosmetic surgeons ensuring a top class outcome.