What Is Lip Augmentation?
The branch of cosmetic surgery which works upon the fullness of the lips through the use of fillers is known as lip augmentation. It is actually a non surgical approach since no incisions, flap raising or suturing is needed in this kind of procedure. It makes use of injecting fillers in and around the lips. Another method is to use lip implants in order to achieve the lip augmentation task. This procedure however will be a surgical one since incisions and suturing for the placement and stabilization of the implant are needed respectively. It is used to bring about fullness to the lips for the purpose of enhancement of the smile and hence of the overall face and the look of the person. It is mostly an option which the females from the urban population choose.
Having thin lips is not a disease or any pathologic condition. It most commonly is since birth which goes with the proportions of the nose, chin and cheeks. Enhancement of the lips is always a personal choice where the concerned individual may seek a cosmetic surgeon describing his or her needs and request a change in the appearance of the lips. However certain added conditions may call for a lip augmentation at any time in life. These include:
- Cleft lip cases: After the surgical approaches have been carried out to repair the lip in early childhood, a lip augmentation may be an option in late adolescence to improve the appearance.
- Burns: In cases of facial burns, skin and mucosa become stretched and give an ugly appearance to the facial structures. Along with the other plastic surgeries to improve the look of the face, a lip augmentation can also be carried out to enhance the look.
- Age: Lips may thin out as a result of ageing. As a result of ageing, wrinkles may develop over the cupid’s bow, corners of the mouth giving an unpleasant look to the face. The shape, structure and volume may then require a restoration with the help of augmentation procedures.
Signs and symptoms:
The only sign and symptom ever associated with such conditions is an unaesthetic appearance. Lip augmentation is always the choice of the individual and the cosmetic surgeon works according to the patient’s needs.
- Physical examination: The cosmetic surgeon studies the entire face of the individual, particularly the upper and the lower lip. The parts studied are the commissures of the mouth, the philtrum, the nasolabial angle, lower lip to chin distance, the black triangles while smiling, lips at rest and lips at forced/social smiling position.
- Photographic study: Preoperative photographs are taken in various angles to keep a record of the smile and lips. Various measurements can also be done in order to compare the proportions of the lips with the teeth, nose, chin and the cheeks.
- Use of soft ware: Digital soft ware are available which help to study the face in a three dimensional manner. The lips can be seen in all the three dimensions and thus how much percentage of fullness is required can be judged.
Types of Lip Augmentation Procedures:
- Temporary: These are minimally invasive methods, effects last for 6 to 8 months; make use of fillers, fats for improving the shape, structure and volume of the lips.
- Permanent: Effects last for years and require a proper surgical approach, make use of longer acting fillers and maybe implants.
Treatment Procedure for Lip Augmentation:
- Use of fillers: In this method, materials called as fillers are injected around the lip. These fillers cause a raise in the musculature of the lips and give them a ‘fullness’ look. Many types of filler are available in the injection form with various pros and cons and different doses of deliveries. These are as follows:
- Fat injections: It is a two step method. Firstly, a liposuction method is used to extract fat from the body where it is present in excess as for example breasts, abdomen or buttocks. The same extracted fat is purified and then injected around the same patient’s lips. Fat injections help to increase the volume of the lips and give it a pouty look.
- Hyaluronic acid: It is naturally occurring agent found in the skin, mucosa and cartilages in the human body. When present in the skin and mucosa of the lips, it helps in keeping the lips moist and also is responsible for maintaining the shape and structure of the lips. It is one of the most common injections used for the lip augmentation procedure. Various different brands of hyaluronic acid injections are used for this purpose.
- Collagen rich injections: Collagen is a protein rich compound found in the dermal layers of the skin. It helps in providing a framework to the layer. Collagen injections help in restoring the shape of the lips which has been lost as a result of wrinkling. This method is the second most commonly used procedure after hyaluronic acid injections.
- Platelet rich plasma injections: Quite an uncommon method, patient’s own blood is drawn and plasma cells are extracted in vitro. These cells are then injected into the lips which help in the restoration of the lip shape and structure.
- Use of lip implants: It is permanent method of lip augmentation in which implants are placed in order to provide for a bulky appearance of lips. Once the implant has been placed, it remains inside the lip and no further surgery is needed. A surgical procedure however maybe required if implant has to be removed as per the willingness of the patient. Though it maybe palpable, it does not interfere with the routine functions the lips perform.
- Dermal grafts: Yet another permanent form of lip augmentation, it makes use of extraction of a small layer of skin from some other part of the body. This is then placed carefully with fillers near the lips. After careful processing, this tissue in used in place of synthetic fillers to augment the lips. Advantages of using the dermal graft process to enhance the lips are that the results are longer-lasting than those achieved by fillers and there is no fear of “rejection” or allergic reaction.
- Lip lift: these are available in two types namely corner lift and upper lift. These procedures give a more youthful appearance to the smile. An upper lift method would shorten the skin distance between the upper lip and the base of the nose. Thus the upper teeth are exposed more and give fullness to the smile as well. In a corner lift, the edges of the mouth are lifted. This procedure is planned as per the prosthesis used over the teeth.
- Vermilion lip advancement: Vermilion is the pink/red part of the lip. The border is the sharp demarcation between the lip and the skin. A vermilion advancement would increase the height of the lip. During this procedure, the surgeon will make a precise incision along the lip border and advance the pink lip up over the white lip. As a result, there is a scar along the edge of the lip. This scar usually heals very nicely.
Complications And Risk Factors Associated With Lip Augmentation:
- Uncontrolled bleeding at the site of injection
- Infections at the site of injection
- Bruising can also be seen
- Herpes simplex infections around the mouth
- Sensitivity in the dermal and mucosal areas
- Post operative edema may persist for a few days
- Redness, itching
- Implants may be palpable all the time
- Scars may develop
- Healing can become poor
- In severe cases, the patient may not like the look and feel disappointed.
Am I A Good Candidate For Lip Augmentation?
Following are the requirements if you think you are a good candidate for a cosmetic surgical approach for your lips:
- A good systemic condition, devoid of any illness
- A very realistic approach and expectations from the surgery
- Naturally thin lips since birth
- Un youthful smile, wrinkling and dimpling of lips
- Wants their lips to stop the gum line from showing when they smile
- Uneven lips
- Gummy smile, excessive exposure of gums during smiling
Benefits of lip augmentation :
A lip augmentation procedure will help you in the following ways:
- Enhance your smile
- Reduce the gumminess while smiling
- Restore the shape, structure and volume of your lips
- Remove wrinkles from around the lips
- Boost your self confidence
- Improve the overall look on your face
Why choose India?
Indian medicine provides for a vast majority of treatment modalities in all the strata of medicine. Team Medcureindia reaches out to such hospitals and institutes which are highly skilled and well equipped with lip augmentation cosmetic procedures. We thus direct our clients concerned to such arenas assuring them the best treatment outcomes.