What Is Hair Transplantation?
The branch of cosmetic surgery clubbed with stem cell therapy which deals with extraction of hair follicles from one part of the body and transplanting them to the area which is bald or totally devoid of hair. Skin grafts containing the follicles can also be harvested into the recipient site depending upon the requirement.
Causes Of Hair Loss:
Generally hair loss leading to baldness is a male trait. However it may occur with women as well in other parts of the body too. Causes include:
- Genetically related factors which run in the family, father passes the trait to son and then to the grandson
- Stress, hormonal imbalance
- Hair loss may occur as an unfavorable sequel to cancer struck patients undergoing chemotherapy and radiation therapy as a part of cancer treatment
- As a side effect of certain medications such as birth control pills
- Autoimmune disorders such as alopecia areata
- Vitamin deficiency, anemia, protein deficiency, thyroid diseases may also lead to hair loss
- Bacterial, viral and fungal infections of the skin may also to loss of hair in any part of the body
- Hair may also be lost due to trauma, accidents or any major surgery performed.
Signs And Symptoms Of Hair Loss:
Hair loss can occur at any part in the human body ranging from the scalp, eyebrows, eye lashes, beard, chest, pubic hair or limbs. However the condition being a male trait, the baldness of the scalp is of a major concern for men. Loss of eyelashes and eyebrows can also be a good trigger for females to opt for the hair transplantation procedure. Patients may complain of:
- Unaesthetic appearance, poor looks, conscious of hair loss
- Itching, redness in the affected area
- Sensitivity in the area of hair loss, hot or cold sensation
- In many cases, hair loss maybe just very asymptomatic
Diagnosis Prior To Hair Transplantation:
- Blood test: to determine if you suffer from any health problems such as thyroid.
- Pull test: in which the doctor will pull your hair to see how many hairs come out on an average.
- Scalp Biopsy: in which the doctor will scrape some skin and a few hairs from your scalp to check if you suffer from any kind of scalp infection.
- Light Microscopy: which will help diagnose any disorders of the hair shaft you may suffer from.
Treatment Procedures For Hair Transplant:
Any of the following two methods can be employed for a hair transplant procedure.
- Follicular Unit Transplantation FUT: It is a highly advanced method of hair transplantation. It is a done in a way which resembles the pattern of natural hair growth. It is an ideal choice for people who have large areas of baldness on their heads. An entire strip of hair is removed from a donor area where hair fall is less and hair growth is thick. The donor area is then sutured which may leave a scar there. The strip is then divided into grafts consisting of two follicles. The follicular units contain sebaceous glands (oil glands), nerves, a tiny muscle, and some fine hairs called vellus hair. Tiny incisions are made on the recipient are which is the actual bald area and these follicular unit rafts are placed inside them. The hair growth from these follicles follows a very natural growth pattern.
- Follicular Unit Extraction FUE: It is a procedure in which instead of extracting an entire strip of follicular unit, units are taken out one by one. A tiny micro needle is used to punch an incision around a hair follicle before its extraction. Each unit includes 1-4 hair follicles. These are then transplanted into the bald areas of the head. The need for making a long incision is avoided in this method. It results in growth of short hair and is the choice of option in cases where areas of baldness are small.
Complications And Risk Factors Associated With Hair Transplant:
- Infections in the recipient areas occur infrequently.
- Infection may occur at the donor site near the sutures but subside once the sutures are removed or get dissolved.
- Epidermal cysts may be seen. An added procedure to drain them needs to be done.
- If too big a donor area is used, tension on the suture line can lead to wide scar formation and dehiscence.
Am I A Good Candidate For Hair Transplant?
- If you are in the age group of 25 to 50 and suffer from great areas of baldness, you surely are an ideal candidate
- You suffer from an advanced hair loss since more than 5 years.
- You must take into account the overall health, devoid of diabetes, asthma, hypertension
The procedure has one great advantage, it will enhance your overall appearance and also boost your personality along with the self confidence.
Why Choose India?
Team MedcureIndia, an Indian medical tourism site, has been striving ever since its establishment towards the well being of its clients. Be it the diagnosis or the selection of treatment modality of any disease, we believe in exposing our clients to the most appropriate one in our knowledge. We also firmly believe in enhancing our status regarding the recent treatment trends, hair transplantation being one of them. The topmost hospitals offering this procedure are places where we direct out clients, assuring treatment results best suited for them.