Bariatric/ Obesity Surgery
Bariatric was coined around 1965. This medical field encompasses dieting, exercise and behavioral therapy approaches to weight loss, as well as pharmacotherapy and surgery. In easier terms Bariatrics is the branch of medicine that deals with the causes, prevention, and treatment of obesity.
Obesity is rising challenge and serious medical problems around the world.There are serious medical effects upon human health which include heart disease, diabetes mellitus, many types of cancer, asthma, obstructive sleep apnea, and chronic musculoskeletal problems. There is also a focus on the correlation between obesity and mortality.
Methods of treatment
Obesity is a disease which can be cured through different ways including non operational and serious medical treatments involved. Diet, exercise, behavior therapy and anti-obesity drugs are first-line treatment. But people suffering from serious obesity challenges have limited success or only short term results through first line treatments.Weight loss surgery generally results in greater weight loss than conventional treatment, and leads to improvements in quality of life and obesity related diseases such as hypertension and diabetes mellitus.
Types of Bariatric Surgery
There are basically two types of Bariatric Surgeries which result in weight loss : -
1) Restriction : - In this method of surgery, the persons food intake capacity is restricted. the goal of this surgery is to limiting the food intake and reducing calorie consumption.
2) Malabsorption : - This particular surgery includes shortening or bypass the portions of small intestine. This will eventually reduce the amount the calorie & nutrients a body can consume.
Four Common Types of Bariatric Surgeries
1) Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery
2) Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding
3) Laparoscopic Gastric Sleeve Surgery
4) Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch
Medcureindia is a officially recognised health travel partner in India. Our health consultations and associated services has benefitted patients across Africa, Asia and Middle East.
Phone no:- 9049188588